Wednesday, April 6, 2011











Tom Seymore calls my blog boring and that I dont update enough and I dont appreciate that comment. I have been out of cell service for the past week, I lost my phone the week before, I got pulled over again, the cop said he caught me speeding through town twice. . . only me. . . no ticket though, and now I am in Flagstaff with Jesus, who I met in Hueco, and Tom and Mike drove down from Bishop last night. We are gonna stay here for about ten days, then I will leave for California. So that is the summary of the past couple weeks, and now I will try and include some details. Jesus and I left El Paso last Thursday and went to the town of Datil, NM to Enchanted Tower with our sights set on 120 foot steep pockety super routes. I got pumped beyond repair but managed to send some really cool routes. The lifestyle for those four days was just amazing. The camping is right at the base of the cliffs in a high altitude meadow surrounded by elk, ponderosa pines, junipers, and cedars. Jesus ate his first smore, well his first 8 smores, and one day was engulfed in 50+ mph winds the entire day. We drove to Flagstaff Monday night and enjoyed cheeseburgers and Guiness pints at a local pub before trying to find the Priest Draw and its camping. We did not succeed and were forced to park and sleep at a Walmart in town and try to find the place the next morning. We showed up late to Walmart and wove our way through atleast 40 other vans, campers and RV's. It seems as if everyone camps at Walmart here in Flagstaff. The next day Jesus and I bouldered all day at the Draw and sampled many of the classic problems. Steep pockets is the what seems to be in style here and we kinda got our ass kicked the first day. After managing to send a couple problems we drove back to the campsite (parking lot) and went to bed. Tom and Mike showed up late that night and now we are all taking a rest day, checking out what town has to offer. Flagstaff seems like a mix between Asheville and Chattanooga and a little Athens. There is good food, cool shops, a variety of people and mountains everywhere. We all decided to split a hotel room due to all of our need of showers. I most definitely smell the best of everyone. These other three guys are a bunch of uncivilized dirty hippies. I dont even know why I am hanging out with them.

1 comment:

  1. Yo yo TJ,

    Thanks for letting Laura crash at your place, I miss you guys and hope all is well. I hope you come up to Vermont this spring, but if not, I will see you in chatty.

    peace.

    ReplyDelete