Thursday, March 24, 2011

time at hueco winding down



I got one more week, I got 4 climbs that I have invested quite a bit of time into and I really want to get. This is the first time in my life that I have been at an area for so long and become attached to a problem or problems. I feel like all of them could go on any one day or I could not get either of them during the next week...obviously I guess. Its going to depend on my mind, Im more than physically strong enough to do them but mentally we will see. I leave here next thursday regardless. Its going to be interesting to see my mindset as I get closer to leaving. I actually feel pressure to send for the first time, its not like I can come back every other weekend. Climbing so much I have underestimated the effect of falling, failing, so much. When we climb for a weekend we fall a weekends worth. Even with no sends over a weekend, its not demoralizing to fall as much as you do. Ive been climbing for 6 weeks straight nearly 5 days a week and I have fallen an absolute ton, really atleast 2000 times finally. Its a learning experience to work through that to stay as motivated as I am used to all while constantly getting shut down. The longest project I have had here, I have invested probably 7 days in, probably over 15 hours and fallen roughly 10 times each day. Succeeding after that much failure will feel as great as I possible could imagine. I try to find the smallest progress in each climb which is magageable, and have extremely small goals daily instead of merely dreaming of the time I send. This way im able to increase my confidence daily rather than focusing on the result of the climb in its entirety. I can translate this train of thought to everyday life and would work just the same. Simply put, its about the journey not just the destination.

3 comments:

  1. Yo buddy. What are you projecting right now? Are you going to Flagstaff after Hueco? How long will you stay there? How has the time with your girlfriend been? Lets talk soon...Call me whenever.

    -Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo SEEJ! I hope you are doing well. Remember to send a easy warm up for me too!
    Listen, climbing that much may have put a big toll on your shoes.
    I've got a pair of my favorite shoes, Mantras, sitting in my trunk calling for some action. And as you know me, it won't happen too soon. So I want you to have it, I wished I gave them to Steph ... but if you think you'll meet with Patti and Dustin, I can send them though them.
    Just let me know!

    Enjoy every moment of it ma men, this are memories you'll remember for the rest of your life!

    Stay out of trouble and be good, okay!?!

    - Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  3. good hearin from you brotha, ive climbed a couple for you. . . ha. man if you are parting with those mantras, i would absolutely love to have them. i will show them plenty of action. send them out to CO with dustin and patti, and I am sure I will run into them. Actually I will be in town for a couple weeks in the beginnning of June for a wedding and family vacation and I will most definitely come to the gym a few times. Give me a call whenever, I would love to hear some words of wisdom from the godfather of athens climbing. as for staying out of trouble, I cant promise you anything

    ReplyDelete